Wednesday, September 09, 2009

remembering my Aunt Shirley

Remembering my wonderful aunt, Shirley Condry Gainer, who passed away on Monday evening, September 7, after courageously battling cancer. I don't think I have ever known anyone who loved life and loved living it more than she did.

About Shirley: She was my mother's baby sister. Pink was her signature color, and she looked beautiful in it. She loved to travel and had the opportunity to live in many different places - Spain, Alaska, Tunisia, Malta - those are the ones I can remember. During this time, she married her husband, Kermit, three times. The third time it finally took! They worked together and played together over the years. I'd say they had a pretty wonderful life (and raised a pretty wonderful son).

She was always proud of the fact that she played "match maker" and introduced me to the wonderful man who has been my husband for 27 years. She invited us both over for dinner and, when we left, she bet my Uncle Kermit ten dollars that we'd be married within a year. It was one year and three weeks before our actual wedding day. Technically, she lost her bet, so I gave her ten dollars. It was well worth it!

We love you and will miss you, Aunt Shirley. And we have the blessed assurance that we will be together again one day. xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment